Waking up to puffy eyes isn’t an ideal way to start the day. You want to wake up feeling and looking refreshed. Puffy eyes are a nuisance and can poke at your self-confidence. While getting a good night’s sleep is the traditional way to rid yourself of puffy eyes, it sometimes seems impossible to accomplish in our fast-paced, modern world. Rest assured, the beauty world offers new tips and tricks that can help with this bothersome issue.
What Causes Puffy Eyes
The appearance of puffy eyes is caused by swelling around the eye area due to excessive fluid build-up in the surrounding skin tissue. Eye swelling can result from numerous sources stemming from your diet, lifestyle, and genetics to name a few. Here are the most common causes of puffy eyes.
- Lack of Sleep: Fatigue can manifest as eye puffiness
- High-Salt Diet: Salt causes excessive water retention and potential dehydration that can lead to swelling
- Allergies: Sinus congestion caused by allergies can lead to inflammation around the eye area
- Natural aging: As you age, your skin naturally looses firmness and elasticity
- Genetics: Puffy eyes can sometimes be a physical trait that is inherited from family
How to Reduce the Appearance of Puffy Eyes
Thankfully, puffy eyes don’t typically impact your vision or health and can generally be reduced with the help of awesome products and slight lifestyle changes. These beauty tips will have you looking well-rested with a newfound confidence in no time.
1. Get Enough Sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep is proven to drastically reduce your eye puffiness. Start by creating a bedtime routine that you will stick to.
- Pick a bedtime that permits you 7-9 hours of sleep
- Avoid drinking alcohol and coffee close to bedtime, these can prolong your sleep cycle.
- Strive to complete your fitness routine well before you’re off to bed
- Try finishing dinner at least 3 hours before you call it a night
- Limit the use of electronics close to bedtime
2. Manage Your Allergies
Year-round and seasonal allergies can irritate your eyes and cause puffiness. Some allergies can also cause persistent itching causing you to rub your eyes which can result in further puffiness.
- Try using eye drops for irritated eyes or
- Speak with your healthcare provider about finding an allergy medicine that’s right for you
3. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration is a subtle cause of puffy eyes. Most people don’t know if they’re dehydrated or not until the effects start to appear. The standard way of assuring hydration is to drink 8- 8oz glasses of water daily. Try using these tips to stay on track
- Set a recurring reminder on your phone
- Purchase one of those nifty water bottles with specific times and quotes to remind you to drink. Or make your own!
- Limit daily alcohol usage
4. Try an Eye Cream or Mask
An effective eye treatment can dramatically reduce the appearance of puff eyes or eliminate the issue altogether. Adding a potent eye treatment to your daily skincare routine can result in lasting effects.
- Eye cream contains anti-inflammatory ingredients that can reduce eye puffiness
- Eye Mask: Use the 24K Gold Collagen Eye Mask skincare product that is used in spas and beauty centers around the world. This rejuvenating eye mask is formulated to increase blood circulation, hydrate, and tighten skin; ultimately eliminating puffy eyes
5. Make a Cool Compress
Inflammation and swelling can be reduced with a cold compress. Cooling the area under eyes helps reduce blood flow and drain excess fluid from under your eyes. Rest these common household items over your closed eyes for 10 minutes
- Cold cucumbers
- Cool Washcloth
- Frozen bag of vegetables
- Refrigerated spoons
- Green or black tea bags (contain antioxidants that can reduce inflammation)
6. Eye Massage
If you’re short on time, a quick eye massage in the morning or night can soothe tired eyes and get rid of puffiness. Massaging your eyes help drain excess fluid and improve circulation. Try these quick tips.
- Use cold water or ice to cool your fingertips and begin massaging from the inner corner of your eyes to the outer, pressing down firmly
- Try the tapping massage method by using your middle and index fingers to gently tap out the circle surrounding your eyes. The tapping method bring blood flow to the area
- Use an electric eye massager like the Anti-Aging Eye Massager. This stylish eye massager uses high-frequency micro-vibration paired with light therapy to increase blood circulation and reduce puffy eyes
Puffy eyes are a common nuisance for many women in all realms of life. The good news is that you can use these helpful hints to ward off puffy eyes before they appear. And now, you are equipped to eliminate them should they happen to show up.